The Western Orthodox Academy is happy to respond to enquiries in writing from the media, which should be directed in the first instance by using our contact details. We do not usually issue information to the media via telephone.
Our policy is generally to issue a written statement in response to enquiries, which will also be posted on this website for verification. Requests for interviews with staff will also be considered. Our policy in regard to interviews is that a professional fee will be charged in all circumstances where it would normally be paid.
The Western Orthodox Academy adheres to the following principles in dealing with the media:
- The Western Orthodox Academy is a private institution, and while accountable for its actions insofar as they affect members of the Western Orthodox Academy and others directly involved in its work, may restrict public disclosure of any material that is commercially or otherwise sensitive.
- The Western Orthodox Academy responds promptly to media enquiries and is always truthful in dealing with the media.
- The Western Orthodox Academy pursues a policy of being pro-active in developing positive media coverage with the aims of building support for its core mission and enhancing its reputation.
- The Western Orthodox Academy pursues a policy of responding quickly to limit potential damage caused by adverse or incorrect coverage in the media.
- The Western Orthodox Academy has a responsibility to protect itself, its staff and students from unfair media intrusion.
- The Western Orthodox Academy will use its Notices page to post all public media releases.
The Western Orthodox Academy and the Western Orthodox University place the following obligations on their contractors and officers, referred to below as “staff”:
- All persons have a right to freedom of speech within the law as it currently stands. However, staff are obliged as a consequence of their association with the Western Orthodox Academy and the Western Orthodox University to act in the best interests of those institutions at all times.
- Staff must not express opinions on behalf of the Western Orthodox Academy and/or the Western Orthodox University unless authorised to do so by the Chancellor.
- Staff must not express opinions in the public domain with the intention of discrediting the Western Orthodox Academy and/or the Western Orthodox University.
- Staff should use Western Orthodox Academy and/or Western Orthodox University letterheads and their position within the Western Orthodox University only where permission has previously been granted by the Chancellor, ie. not for remarks that are made in a personal capacity.
- Confidential material, for example concerning students, must not be disclosed to the media.
- Material placed on the World Wide Web (including Usenet), whether or not the staff member owns the site concerned, is covered by this policy.
- None of these provisions should be taken to restrict academic freedom, but academic freedom may only be defined within the limits of the academic expertise of the individual concerned, and his or her teaching and scholarly activities.