The Western Orthodox Academy

Home » 2016 » July

Monthly Archives: July 2016

Western Orthodox University enters agreement of reciprocal accreditation with Pontifical Academy

tiberina_WOUThe University has concluded a full reciprocal relationship of partnership, recognition and accreditation with the Pontificia Accademia Tiberina, Rome, Italy.

The Accademia Tiberina was founded in 1813 and received official recognition from the Sacred Congregation of Studies under Pope Leo XII in 1825. Already in 1816, the Papal States had granted the Accademia the right in perpetuity to display on its door the coat of arms of the Senate and the Roman people. In 1878 the Accademia was given permanent hospitality in the palazzo of the Cancelleria Apostolica by Pope Leo XIII.

The Accademia counts five popes among its distinguished past membership: Pius VIII, Gregory XVI, Pius IX, Leo XIII, and Pius XII, and numerous Cardinals of the Catholic Church. Among its many other distinguished members are the composers Liszt, Bellini, Rossini and Respighi, the inventor Marconi and the chemist Marie Curie.

In addition to the institutional agreement, three senior members of the Senate of the University have been made Honorary Academicians of the Accademia.